Research Associate / Research Fellows Position(s) – funded by GRACE / Global Response Against Child Exploitation
DEADLINE : 1ST OF SEPTEMBER 2021
The Centre for Risk and Decision Sciences (CERIDES) focuses on the development, use and evaluation of quantitative and qualitative methods in order to measure, assess, manage and communicate risk, and to analyze, design and implement decision-making mechanisms and systems. Our areas of focus revolve around two basic pillars; risk and decision science with an application to a number of horizontal areas such as: Security, Safety, Cybersecurity, Telecommunications, Critical Infrastructure Protection and Industrial Processes.
GRACE is a project that will leverage resources already in place at EUROPOL and its 9 MS LEAs and attempt to provide results early, frequently and flexibly, prioritizing easy wins in the research plan (e.g. deduplication). By applying Federated Learning approach to the challenge of optimising analysis and information flow, GRACE will enable cooperation between LEAs in improving their own capabilities and harness experiential knowledge. The results of GRACE will be handed back to EUROPOL and MS LEAs for unrestricted use in their missions, helping to ensure their future technological autonomy.
The successful candidate(s) should be in a position to illustrate a thorough understanding of the scientific domain with a particular emphasis on the ability to create training material stemming from the results of the project with the use of new technologies.
More information about the project can be found at https://www.grace-fct.eu/
Qualifications and skills
- For the Research Associate position(s) – recent university MSc degree in a related area, with a strong understanding of how science impacts on science
- For the Research Fellow position(s) – recent university PhD degree in a related area, with a strong understanding of how science impacts on science
- Illustrate their good understanding of how science impacts on policy
- Illustrate their ability to disseminate research results to the public with the use of social media
- A genuine interest in the areas of interest of GRACE. Previous experience is highly appreciated;
- Good communication skills and good proficiency in English (both oral and written);
- A thorough understanding of relevant EU legislation
- Proven scientific knowledge in the specific domain, illustrated by relevant publications or participation project work
- Good communication in another European language (Italian, French, Spanish or German);
- Willingness to travel in Europe or abroad, and travel to international training meetings, courses and any fieldwork.
- Ability to function as a team member, work independently and take responsibility for own research goals.
We offer a fixed-term position, for the duration of the GRACE project.
Candidates should submit:
- A motivation letter
- Copies of relevant qualifications
Applications should be forwarded to the EUC Research Office at R.Office@euc.ac.cy by the 1st of September 2021
All applications shall be treated in strict confidentiality and only candidates that meet the job specifications will be contacted.