Funded by GRACE / Global Response Against Child Exploitation
Deadline : 5th of June 2020
The use of the Internet to distribute CSEM is an abhorrent crime. Referrals from Online Service Providers are key to fighting CSE. OSPs, detection technologies and users reporting suspicious material are improving. However, this leads to an increase in the sheer volume of referrals coupled with the increase in the distribution of CSEM online that is pushing MS LEAs to their limits and affecting their their capacity to prevent harm to infants and children, rescue those in immediate danger, and investigate and prosecute perpetrators. The NCMEC process has improved LEA capability. But, a typical CSE case contains 1-3 TBs of video, 1–10 million images. Limited human resources, manual analysis and the 4,000% increase in referrals since 2014 obligates a new approach. GRACE will apply proven techniques in ML to the referral and analysis process while embracing the very technical, ethical and legal challenges unique to fighting CSE. GRACE will leverage resources already in place at EUROPOL and its 9 MS LEAs and attempt to provide results early, frequently and flexibly, prioritising easy wins in the research plan (e.g. deduplication). By applying Federated Learning approach to the challenge of optimising analysis and information flow, GRACE will enable cooperation between LEAs in improving their own capabilities and harness experiential knowledge. The results of GRACE will be handed back to EUROPOL and MS LEAs for unrestricted use in their missions, helping to ensure their future technological autonomy.
CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology’s Prof Georgios Boustras coordinate’s the project.
- A strong, engaging, collaborative and inclusive network of academics and practitioners
- Become part of a dynamic team, that works with and for the scientific community and society
- A competitive salary depending on previous experience and education
- For the Research Associate position(s) – recent university MSc degree in a related area, with a strong understanding of how science impacts on science
- For the Research Fellow position(s) – recent university PhD degree in a related area, with a strong understanding of how science impacts on science
- Illustrate their good understanding of how science impacts on policy
- A genuine interest in the areas of interest of RESPOND-A. Previous experience is highly appreciated;
- Good communication skills and good proficiency in English (both oral and written);
- Good communication in another European language (Italian, French, Spanish or Germany);
- Willingness to travel including secondments in Europe or abroad, and travel to international training meetings, courses and any fieldwork.
- Ability to function as a team member, work independently and take responsibility for own research goals.
- Previous experience in HORIZON 2020 projects.
- We offer a fixed-term position, for the duration of the RESPOND-A project.
About the employer
European University Cyprus operates five Schools, namely, the School of Humanities, Social & Education Sciences, the School of Business Administration, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the School of Sciences, the Medical School, and the School of Law with the mission to educate students for successful careers and life achievement, to understand and serve the needs of society, and to create knowledge through research and innovation. EUC is the only university in Cyprus and Greece to be rated by QS TOP UNIVERSITIES (QS Stars), which ranks many of the most prestigious universities in the United States, Canada and Europe. The University has been assessed with the highest distinction of 5-Stars in Teaching, Facilities, Inclusiveness, Social Responsibility and Internationalization. Its 4-Star distinction in the field of Employability is also considered a remarkable success, a result of the close association of its academic programs to the job market.
EUC is ranked among the 300+ Universities at Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings.
The Centre of Excellence in Risk and Decision Sciences (CERIDES) provides a holistic offer to the academic and business world. The Centre is based on the offering of educational (taught), research and consulting solutions. The Centre has emerged from the synergies that have been identified between the Centre for Risk, Safety and the Environment (CERISE) and the Decision Support and Systems Optimization (DSSO) Laboratory and operates under the auspices of European University Cyprus. It is the first cross-disciplinary, cross-School Center of Excellence of European University Cyprus.
Our focus revolves around the development, use and evaluation of quantitative and qualitative methods in order to measure, assess, manage and communicate risk, and to analyze, design and implement decision-making mechanisms and systems. Our areas of focus revolve around two basic pillars; risk and decision science with an application to a number of horizontal areas such as: Security, Safety, Cybersecurity, Telecommunications, Critical Infrastructure Protection and Industrial Processes.
CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology is technology oriented and has already developed tools and apps relevant to its work. Its aim is to become an innovation center forming and developing products that can be commercialized at a later stage.
CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology research and researchers are funded through its participation in highly competitive research projects. CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology has already obtained over €4 Mn (March 2020) in Horizon 2020, FP7, DG ECHO, DG HOME, DG Justice, ERASMUS+, Norwegian Grants, Cyprus Research and Innovation Council funded projects.
How to apply
- Submit motivation letter, copies of relevant qualifications and a CV
Job announcement open until 5th June 2020.
Do not e-mail directly to the person mentioned above, but forward your application to the EUC Research Office at R.Office@euc.ac.cy.
All applications shall be treated in strict confidentiality and only candidates that meet the job specifications will be contacted.