Funded by RESPOND-A / Next-generation equipment tools and mission-critical strategies for First Responders
Deadline : 5th of June 2020
With the evolving threat of climate change and the consequences of industrial accidents to becoming more severe, there is an increasing need for First Responders to access reliable and agile information management systems that offer as higher Situational Awareness and better Common Operational Picture. To match with current trends, the RESPOND-A project aims at developing holistic and easy-to-use solutions for First Responders by bringing together the complementary strengths of its Investigators in 5G wireless communications, Augmented and Virtual Reality, autonomous robot and unmanned aerial vehicle coordination, intelligent wearable sensors and smart monitoring, geovisual analytics and immersive geospatial data analysis, passive and active localisation and tracking, and interactive multi-view 360o video streaming. The synergy of such cutting-edge technological advancements is likely to provide high-end and continuous flows of data, voice and video information to First Responders and their Command & Control Centers for predicting and assessing the various incidents readily and reliably, and saving lives more efficiently and effectively, while maximising the safeguarding of themselves, before, during and after disasters. To this end, RESPOND-A envisions at exercising First Responders for getting familiar with the project technological outcomes, and demonstrating their real-world performance and effectiveness in the classified training facilities of our Responder Partners under hydrometeorological, geophysical and technological disaster scenarios.
CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology’s Senior Research Fellow, Dr Georgios Kioumourtzis coordinate’s the project.
- A strong, engaging, collaborative and inclusive network of academics and practitioners
- Become part of a dynamic team, that works with and for the scientific community and society
- A competitive salary depending on previous experience and education
- For the Research Associate position(s) – recent university MSc degree in a related area, with a strong understanding of how science impacts on science
- For the Research Fellow position(s) – recent university PhD degree in a related area, with a strong understanding of how science impacts on science
- Illustrate their good understanding of how science impacts on policy
- A genuine interest in the areas of interest of RESPOND-A. Previous experience is highly appreciated;
- Good communication skills and good proficiency in English (both oral and written);
- Good communication in another European language (Italian, French, Spanish or Germany);
- Willingness to travel including secondments in Europe or abroad, and travel to international training meetings, courses and any fieldwork.
- Ability to function as a team member, work independently and take responsibility for own research goals.
- We offer a fixed-term position, for the duration of the RESPOND-A project.
About the employer
European University Cyprus operates five Schools, namely, the School of Humanities, Social & Education Sciences, the School of Business Administration, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the School of Sciences, the Medical School, and the School of Law with the mission to educate students for successful careers and life achievement, to understand and serve the needs of society, and to create knowledge through research and innovation. EUC is the only university in Cyprus and Greece to be rated by QS TOP UNIVERSITIES (QS Stars), which ranks many of the most prestigious universities in the United States, Canada and Europe. The University has been assessed with the highest distinction of 5-Stars in Teaching, Facilities, Inclusiveness, Social Responsibility and Internationalization. Its 4-Star distinction in the field of Employability is also considered a remarkable success, a result of the close association of its academic programs to the job market.
EUC is ranked among the 300+ Universities at Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings.
The Centre of Excellence in Risk and Decision Sciences (CERIDES) provides a holistic offer to the academic and business world. The Centre is based on the offering of educational (taught), research and consulting solutions. The Centre has emerged from the synergies that have been identified between the Centre for Risk, Safety and the Environment (CERISE) and the Decision Support and Systems Optimization (DSSO) Laboratory and operates under the auspices of European University Cyprus. It is the first cross-disciplinary, cross-School Center of Excellence of European University Cyprus.
Our focus revolves around the development, use and evaluation of quantitative and qualitative methods in order to measure, assess, manage and communicate risk, and to analyze, design and implement decision-making mechanisms and systems. Our areas of focus revolve around two basic pillars; risk and decision science with an application to a number of horizontal areas such as: Security, Safety, Cybersecurity, Telecommunications, Critical Infrastructure Protection and Industrial Processes.
CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology is technology oriented and has already developed tools and apps relevant to its work. Its aim is to become an innovation center forming and developing products that can be commercialized at a later stage.
CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology research and researchers are funded through its participation in highly competitive research projects. CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology has already obtained over €4 Mn (March 2020) in Horizon 2020, FP7, DG ECHO, DG HOME, DG Justice, ERASMUS+, Norwegian Grants, Cyprus Research and Innovation Council funded projects.
How to apply
- Submit motivation letter, copies of relevant qualifications and a CV
Job announcement open until 5th June 2020.
Do not e-mail directly to the person mentioned above, but forward your application to the EUC Research Office at R.Office@euc.ac.cy.
All applications shall be treated in strict confidentiality and only candidates that meet the job specifications will be contacted.