Through its participation in National, EU, and private research projects CERIDES has created a vibrant ecosystem in Cyprus and SE Mediterranean. Research Associates and Postdoctoral Research Fellows are recruited to work in projects relevant to the Center’s thematic pillars, creating an inspiring and productive environment, which is primarily focused on delivering high-quality research output on CERIDES topics. CERIDES’s objective is to develop an environment that stimulates scientific debate
The Center will fulfil its aims through:
- Recruitment of top-class researchers with the potential to not only contribute to science but to become trend-setters.
- The recognition and adoption of best practices in research
- Publication in high quality, Scopus indexed, peer-reviewed journals, proceedings, and/or books
- Internationalization through Inviting and hosting highly respected visiting scholars, visiting well-established research centers in the globe, and finally;
- Contribution to science through extensive dissemination of our research results e.g. through publications and conferences
the experience gained through research will be fed back to existing courses and new courses will spin-off from the Center.
EDUCATION / TRAINING
CERIDES provides an academic framework for risk and decision science and creates a career path for emerging researchers. Faculty from the Center provides high-quality teaching that will challenge students and help them develop skills in critical thinking, research, and problem-solving that can be applied to a career in either research or the broader business community. Through its taught programs CERIDES fosters the dissemination of ideas, theories, and methods to its students. It is anticipated that the experience gained through research will be fed back to existing courses and it is also anticipated that new courses will spin-off from the Center.
CERIDES faculty coordinate the IOSH accredited MSc in Occupational Health and Safety. Other programs that are relevant and benefit from CERIDES Faculty are BSc in Mathematics, MSc in Computer Science, MSc in Cybersecurity. Faculty from CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology is involved in teaching, research, and supervisory duties of 2 Ph.D. programs: Ph.D. in Occupational Safety and Health and Ph.D. in Computing / Computer Science.
CERIDES develops a stimulating academic environment for students through:
- Providing high-quality teaching by talented teaching staff
- Providing high-quality research topics for student master theses that can result in publications
- Setting up a student external practice period/internship in business or academia
- Providing students with the framework for developing risk & decision sciences research skills, by involving them in the activities of the Center
- Developing and implementing vocational training courses and lifelong learning courses on risk & decision sciences topics
- Sponsoring a variety of events – conferences, colloquia, lecture series, symposia, seminars, workshops, forums, etc. – for stakeholders in the field of learning technologies to meet, assess the progress of the field, define research agendas, and initiate new collaborations
One of the key aims of the CERIDES – Excellence in Innovation and Technology is to assist private and Governmental organisations to effectively manage risk and uncertainty and assist decision making in the fields of occupational, industrial, natural, and environmental hazards. Information regarding previous and ongoing consultancy can be found in the relevant section.
Relevant consulting activities:
- the Ministry of Interior as being a member of the consortium that performed the National Disaster Reduction Strategy of the Republic of Cyprus,
- the Ministry of Interior as being a member of the consortium that performed the National Risk Assessment of the Republic of Cyprus,
- the Ministry of Interior by providing consultancy to the Civil Defense Force for the modernization of the National Crisis Management Plan,
- the Ministry of Defense by having performed the national risk assessment of unexploded ordnance in the gulf of Limassol,
- the Ministerial Council of the Republic of Cyprus by heading the expert group on the assessment of the fire response of the Republic,
- The World Bank by offering expertise in the reform of the Greek Fire Service.